Pages

Monday 17 January 2011

What has happened to the YA genre?

Amidst the visa applications, tax... things... and launching myself into my own episode of DIY SOS, I am (as ever) consumed by the thoughts of books and the book market...

It's obvious, but I'm just going to say it: The YA genre is inundated with paranormal, namely paranormal romance.

Yes. Still!

I just had to say it. Get it off my chest.


I thought it was going to end. Didn't you? I thought that steampunk and dystopian would knock all things paranormal off the top of the lists. That they, in turn, would be then be swept away by contemporary. But, alas, like most things in life, it is taking longer than I thought.

Personally, I am loving the storm of dystopian lit gathering in my TBR pile. I love the Hunger Games, and Matched by Allie Condie is living up to all the hype of the past few months. I am also very excited for some of the contemporary stuff slated for publication this year (TBR: Trapped by Michael Northrop, The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney). I can feel it. Like an old man feels the storm in his bones. Contemp is coming into style. Of course, not until dystopians have run their course... and right now I don't care how long that course is, because I'm loving it!

But can we please put these vampires, witches, werewolves... let them rest for a while. PLEASE! Unless it's something earth-shatteringly, mind-blowingly original, put the magical fairies away. Just for a while. I promise you won't miss it too much. Yes, established series, carry on as you were. Just no new stuff. Please, I beg of you. Try something new.

Surely I'm not the only one. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?